Ana Ines King
FOUNDER & ARTISTIC DIRECTOR
Ana Ines King holds a B.F.A. in Dance and Choreography from the Instituto de Bellas Artes of Colombia, South America. Mrs. King has over twenty years of experience teaching and performing in South America and the United States. In Colombia, Mrs. King founded and was Artistic Director of the Santander Ballet from 1985 to 1995. She was a faculty member at Virginia Commonwealth University department of Dance and Choreography and at the Center for the Arts of Henrico County for seven years. She currently coordinates and directs the Latin Ballet collaboration with Dominion Arts Center educational programs. In addition to directing the Latin Ballet professional company, she is full time faculty for the Latin Ballet of Virginia schools of dance. Mrs. King and the Latin Ballet of Virginia have been highly acclaimed around the region for over a decade, receiving many awards and recognitions for contributions to the arts.
Pr0fessional Company & Artists
We are honored and proud of our dancers and those who have helped us with music and production.
AWARDS & ACHIEVEMENTS
- 2017 - Style Weekly's Women in the Arts Award for her contributions to making Richmond’s art community more inclusive, more accessible and more exuberant.
- 2016 - Virginia Women in History award presented by the Library of Virginia for Mrs. King’s important contribution to Virginia, the nation and the word.
- 2015 - Entrepreneur Bridge Builder Award presented by the Virginia Hispanic of Commerce for commitment to education and culture.
- 2015 - Outstanding Woman of the Year Award, presented by YWCA for making the arts accessible to low income families, empowering youth, and making the Hispanic culture alive and vibrant throughout our community.
- 2015 - The PBS film of Latin Ballet’s production, “El Pintor”, won at the 36th Annual Telly Awards.
- 2011 - 14th Annual Theresa Pollak Prize for Excellence in the Arts awarded for "Dance.”
- 2010 - Richmond Region Magazine recognized Ana Ines King as the Artist of the Year for Arts and Culture in Virginia.
- 2009 - Nominated for Best Choreography for Boleros for the Disenchanted.
- 2009 - Dance Teacher Magazine spotlighted the Latin Ballet of Virginia as one of only three organizations who teach English as a Second Language through Dance in the United States.
- 2008 - “25 Most Influential Artists in Arts and Culture” award presented by Style Magazine
- 2007 - Editor’s Pick “20 Richmonders We Love” Award presented by Richmond Magazine
- 2007 - Southern Living Magazine’s December issue published an article on the educational programs of the Latin Ballet, and recognized Ana Ines King as an “Ambassador of Dance and Culture.”
- 2006 - PBS showcased the Latin Ballet by broadcasting the program “Danza & Pasion.”
- 2005 - Best Artists in Residency award in Cabarrus County, North Carolina, presented by the North Carolina Arts Council for excellence in multicultural educational programs.
- 2005 - Richmond Woman Magazine described Ana Ines King as “Coffee, Flowers and Ana, Colombia’s Finest Exports”.
- 2004 - Jane Baskerville Award for the best community education program for World Languages in Chesterfield County Public Schools in Virginia.
- 2003 - Soul of Virginia Magazine spotlighted the Latin Ballet Company as “Dancing to a New Beat in Virginia.”
- 2002 - Hispanic Woman of the Year Award presented by AT&T Broadband & CNN en Español for services to the community.
- 1992 - Best Children’s Film of the Year with her choreography of Annie for Televisa, Mexico.
- 1991 - Best National Choreographer for One Hundred Years of Solitude in Colombia, SA.